Wednesday, 7 November 2012

Mod 4 - further work on Chapter 2

I have returned to lettering and developed some existing and new ideas.

13. Above - I scanned a page from Collins Dictionary featuring the definition of "alphabet"
 and used this as a background paper.
 
 
 
14. Above - a handwritten grid made "cells" and I filled these with individual letters.



15.  Above - In triplicate to accentuate the patterns - I used a disposable fork and sepia acrylic ink to trace "alphabet"  over scanned dictionary ground.
 
 
 
16.  Above - Sian suggested I make a stamp based on the motif I designed usingthe letter "P" in a circular pattern. 
(a) I painted a piece of cardboard with acrylic to strengthen and seal it;
(b) I sketched the design in permanent pen;
(c) I covered the board with double-sided tape;
(d) I stuck cord on to the board, following the inked guidelines.
 
 
17.  Above - all cording in place.
 
 
18.  Above - I painted another layer of acyrlic over the whole stamp to counter the stickiness of the tape and to seal the stamp and make it last longer.

 
19.  Above - I used my home-made stamp with red ink on a dictionary background sheet.
 
 

20.  Above - I used the stamp as a rubbing plate with oil pastels on a background of handwritten and reversed "alphabet".  The rubbing softens the strong lines of the handwriting.

21.   Above - a "stretched" alphabet makes the lettering more abstract and could form part of a layered design.


22 (a) - Above - remember this rattan grid?

 
22 (b) - Above - following Sian's advice I wrote using a candle and pressing on firmly.  I then spritzed two colours of ink across the lettering, which jumped off the page!



23 (a) Above - I had found a piece of rug canvas (3.3 holes to the inch).

 
23 (b) Above - the same candle technique over the rug canvas gave a better result.  The grid show through quite clearly.
 
24.  Above - more play with handwriting. I overprinted this document, changing the orientation as an easy way to create a dense grid pattern.



Chapter 3 - Grids

 
1.  Above - A linen mix - very loose and open.
 


2.  Above - a turquoise dress net - very dense and strong.


3.  Above - a natural open-weave fabric.
 
 
4.  Above - double tapestry/needlepoint canvas - extremely strong and fairly stiff.
 
 
5.  Above - red fruit net.  Nylon, stretchy and strong.  Can be doubled, twisted, plaited or rolled.
 
 
 
 
6.  Above - a very strong and resilient vegetable net.
 
 

7.  Above - rug canvas - I painted one area with red acrylic paint as a possible contrast in a future sample.


8.  Above - I used a plastic frame and raffia to make this grid.  I think it looks rather interesting!



 
 
9 (a) .  Above - Using soluble film and an embroidery hoop, I machined a rough grid pattern.
 

 

9 (b) Above - I removed the film from the hoop and rinsed it in warm water.  I did not remove all the "gunky" stuff so that the resulting mesh has a little bit more strength and can be manipulated.



 
10 (a)  Above - I took two sheets of kitchen towel and strips of hand-dyed (by me) bamboo knitting ribbon.  I stitched the ribbon to the kitchen towel in a loose grid pattern using two colours of thread (red and black) and a close zigzag stitch, stitched twice to secure the ribbon.
 
  
 


10 (b) Above - I  soaked the piece in warm water and then gently rubbed away most of the kitchen paper (I liked the effect of leaving some behind and am contemplating spraying the whole thing with ink!).

Meanwhile I have pieces of paper dripping all over the place for the next chapter - what fun!!!

1 comment:

  1. So imaginative Anne. I particularly like 15 and 24.

    ReplyDelete